[emacs-berlin] thank you for the feedback!

Michael Ebert-Hanke michael at ebert-hanke.de
Mon Mar 30 09:20:28 UTC 2020

I have a jitsi instance running which we could also use for testing so we might have some comparision. It is build from the docker container (https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet <https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet>). this is running with nginx (which seems to make a difference). i am currently running it on a VPS at digital ocean (shared cpu 2vCPUs 4GB). It can be available also on wednesday 01.04. 19:00.

Last days I had mixed experiences: One factor seems to be mixed browsers. It works best if every person in a room is on either firefox or chromium/chrome. We went with firefox. Also the load on the server seems very low, so the bottleneck could be either the bandwith, since it is a VPS and a cluster seems to share one gigabit link.
Mostly if someone was laggy the got a bad connection marker in the jitsi stats (red icon) so I am not sure if the network endpoints (in buildings) are a bit stressed these days. It would be interesting to try from a bare metal server with strong network link, which I do not have.

I looked into the forum (https://community.jitsi.org/c/install-config/ <https://community.jitsi.org/c/install-config/>) but unfortunately could not find much in terms of optimization, so I can not help here.
You can limit video quality obviously and that usually helps. This can be done directly in the room video settings (if necessary) or also permanently on the server.

The official instance https://meet.jit.si/ <https://meet.jit.si/> seems to be run off AWS.

To sum up I also experienced zoom more stable for larger groups but I would really like to find out how to make jitsi work nice. If someone wants to give my instance a shot:  traum.graum.xyz <http://traum.graum.xyz/>
I leave it open without password for now and till thursday so feel free to (stress)test or use responsively for other chat.

Cheers Micha