[emacs-berlin] LSP (language server protocol) and Emacs

emacs-berlin at storiepvtride.it emacs-berlin at storiepvtride.it
Tue Aug 18 10:21:07 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone uses LSP. It's a protocol developed by
microsoft that provides a unified framework for IDE (integrated
development environment like visual studio) or editors (like Vim and
Sublime). And, of course, Emacs.

The protocol is implemented by a server running on your workstation, the
IDE or the text editor talks to this server for things like syntax
highlighting, code completions, jump to definitions and so on.

I currently use lsp-mode [0][1] to develop in Rust and for this language
the developer experience is stellar. I was curious to know if anyone
uses LSP with another language. When I have time I'd like to setup LSP
also for python, php and other languages I use.

Happy to hear your thoughts! We can also briefly discuss this during the
next meetup. If anyone is curious, I can show how it works on Rust.

regards,

[0] github.com/emacs-lsp/lsp-mode
[1] rust-analyzer.github.io