[emacs-berlin] May Meetup

Michael Albinus michael.albinus at gmx.de
Wed May 27 10:04:43 UTC 2020

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler at easy-emacs.de> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> Below my workflow building a fresh Emacs from trunk:
>
> git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
>
> This creates a directory called emacs
>
> Make a copy with current date in its name, so older one might be kept:
>
>    cp -pur emacs emacs-$(date +%Y%m%d)

Why not create a new worktree instead?

$ cd emacs
$ git worktree add -b emacs-local ../emacs-$(date +%Y%m%d)

This generates a local branch emacs-local, which is bound to the master
branch. It does not exist on remote. But the advantage is, that it
shares the git objects with your initial clone. And in case you want to
take over commits from this local branch, you could apply "git
cherry-pick" in the master branch.

$ cd ../emacs-$(date +%Y%m%d)

>    source ./autogen.sh
>    ./configure --with-mailutils --with-modules
>    make -k

A further important step is "make check". It runs the non-expensive
tests from Emacs' test suite, in order to see whether everything is in
order. I recommend to run it from time to time.

Best regards, Michael.