[emacs-berlin] May Meetup

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at easy-emacs.de
Wed May 27 08:37:12 UTC 2020

Am 26.05.20 um 00:03 schrieb Tilmann Singer:
> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler at easy-emacs.de> writes:
>> lately filed a feature request relating to python.el; improve sexp-based
>> navigation.
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2020-05/msg01052.html
>>
>> It's a rather trivial thing, suitable for an exercise how to patch Emacs
>> - and running your own extended Emacs, which is a major fun IMHO.
>>
>> If people are interested, some hints how to build an Emacs from current
>> trunk should follow.
> Definitely interested, looking forward to hearing about that.
>

> cheers, Til

Below my workflow building a fresh Emacs from trunk:

git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

This creates a directory called emacs

Make a copy with current date in its name, so older one might be kept:

    cp -pur emacs emacs-$(date +%Y%m%d)
    cd emacs-$(date +%Y%m%d)
    source ./autogen.sh
    ./configure --with-mailutils --with-modules
    make -k

Watch the output of "configure" for possible missing libraries, notably
image-manipulation stuff. Some examples from previous installs:

libc6-dev
libffi-dev
libgif-dev
libgif71