[emacs-berlin] Jitsi setup

Michael Ebert-Hanke michael at ebert-hanke.de
Tue Mar 31 15:36:49 UTC 2020

I just found some forum post confirming Dieters remark about Firefox.
https://community.jitsi.org/t/server-load-for-many-simultaneous-meetings/23877

> If all of them are Chrome (simulcast) and let’s say all participants in a meeting are sending video you need at least 100Mbit upload/download per meeting and those numbers drastically increase if adding just one non-simulcast participant (Firefox at the moment, but we will soon change that :))
(The numbers refer to 20 meetings with 20 participants each)

So it seems like it should be Chromium/Chrome.
Chromium can be downloaded here: https://chromium.woolyss.com/download/ <https://chromium.woolyss.com/download/>

My comment regarding Chrome was aimed at using jitsi because it is free and open, so from this perspective it is not ideal to then use Chrome as a browser – this of course is an individual choice.

Other than that regarding Ilia’s question I think Andreas is right. In theory though it might compromise the group in terms of tracking / data collection … but this is another story.

- Micha