Poor Man's Expression at Kino Arsenal

STARSHIP Magazine redaktion at starship-magazine.org
Tue May 10 17:47:22 CEST 2011

Kino Arsenal - Institut für Film und Videokunst e.V.

To celebrate the release of Poor Man's Expression,
various presentations and screenings are taking place at Arsenal
and in the surrounding space on May 11th, 12th and 13th.

PROGRAM

Wednesday, May 11
*I've seen it on a bigger screen before, the resolution was fine.*

/With special guests Stephen Warwick and Ian White.

/THE APPLE FROM THE EYE OF THE WORM (Nina Könnemann, 2000)

19.30 Program in Arsenal 2
"West Village Meat Market", Christine Noll Brinckmann, 1979, 16mm,
color, 12 min.
"A Life, and Time: Alfred Leslie´s letter to Frank O´Hara + Roland
Barthes on Racine", Ian White, 2011, reading.
"Self Fashion Show", Tibor Hajas, 1976, 35mm auf DVD, s/w, 15 min.
"The Last Clean Shirt", Alfred Leslie and Frank O'Hara, 1964, 16mm, s/w,
41 min.

21.00 Musical performance by Stephen Warwick.

In the foyer, Nina Könnemann ("The Apple from the Eye of the Worm",
Dokumentation, 2000)
in a setting with contributions by Eva Seufert, Ariane Müller, and
Martin Ebner / Florian Zeyfang
& "Eureka", Ernie Gehr, 1974-1979, 16mm, s/w, 28 min.

Thursday, May 12
*The director and his actor and his dog looking at footage going out for
air*

/With special guests Jay Chung & Q Takeki Maeda./

19.30 Program in Arsenal 2
"Under the Brooklyn Bridge", Rudy Burckhardt, 1953, USA, 16mm, s/w, 15 min
"Songdelay", Joan Jonas, 1973, 16mm on DVD, 18 min.
"Real Italian Pizza", David Rimmer, 1970/71, 16mm, color, 13 min.
"A Man and his Dog Going out for Air", Robert Breer, 1957, 16mm, s/w, 2 min.
"The director and his actor look at the footage showing preparations for
an unmade film", Morgan Fisher, 1968, 16mm, s/w, 15 min.
"Fuck Your Landlord", Thomas Kilpper, 2003, video, 11 min.
"Holzminden", Nina Könnemann, 2010, video, 3 min.

21.00 Screening of Jay Chung & Q Takeki Maeda´s 16mm film, "Caducean
City", 2006

In the foyer, screenings of films by Margaret Tait, You Never Know
("Highway to Hell") and other permanent installations.

Friday, May 13
*Oben ein Mond im grünen Bällchen (Above a moon in a small green ball) *

/With special guest Sebastian Lütgert.

/
SHEIKH ZAYED ROAD (Sebastian Lütgert, 2011)

19.30 Program in Arsenal 2
"The Evil Faerie", George Landow, 1966, 16mm, s/w, 1 min.
"A Leash for Fritz & Kale for Stray Bunny", Stephanie Taylor & Alice
Könitz, 2006, video, 10 min.
"The Cut Ups", Anthony Balch, 1967, 16mm, s/w, 20 min.
"Rat Life and Diet in North America", Joyce Wieland, 1968, 16mm, 16 min.
"Mongoloid", Bruce Conner, 1978, 16mm, s/w, 4 min.
"The Evil Faerie", Judith Hopf & Henrik Olesen, 2007, video, color, 1 min.

21.00 Premiere of "Sheikh Zayed Road" (2011) by Sebastian Lütgert:
a fragment from a film about capitalism, set in Dubai.

Plus permanent installations in the foyer,
including films by Henry Hills ("Money"), P. White ("33 Yo-Yo Tricks"),
Harry Smith, Nina Könnemann
and a special screening of "Soft Materials" by Daria Martin.

*Poor Man's Expression
Technology, **Experimental Film, **Conceptual Art

*Edited by Martin Ebner and Florian Zeyfang*

* With contributions by
Stephanie Taylor, Sebestyén Kodolányi, Sebastian Lütgert, Henrik Olesen,
Mathias Poledna, Sean Snyder, Daria Martin, Kirsten Pieroth, Martin
Ebner and Florian Zeyfang.

Authors:
Sabeth Buchmann, Anselm Franke, Ariane Müller, Branden W. Joseph,
Stefanie Schulte Strathaus, Ian White and Axel John Wieder.

240 pages, color, 24 x 30 cm, English/German
Sternberg Press, ISBN 978-1-934105-01-6

/as a point of departure we have assumed that there was once a close
relationship between forms that now exist rather separately, namely the
realms of visual art, experimental film, literature, poetry, music – and
very much the development of technology, too. what is it supposed to
mean that 16mm projectors now occupy their luxurious final performance
sites at art societies and galleries, while iphone youtube (without open
source codecs, to be sure) is the current way to watch a hollis frampton
interview.

the other way around, isn’t the gentle entry of the genre of
"experimental film" into the realm of "media art" of the 1980s and 1990s
itself a transformation analog to general social and medial development
brought about by the development of individualization and consumer
society? in poor man's expression we have sought, through an advanced
setting
("affirmative" neon light surfaces, and the exhibition's paradoxical
bipartite spatial principle) to address the surrounding corporate
architecture of the sony center as well as the film archive deep
underground and the dark space of the avant-garde cinema./

The book is available at Arsenal, or at www.sternberg-press.com

*Für weitere Informationen:*
Nanna Heidenreich & Angelika Ramlow I arsenal distribution
030 269 55 -110 / -250 oder *ars-exp at arsenal-berlin.de*
Kino Arsenal 1 & 2 | Potsdamer Straße 2 | 10785 Berlin |
*www.arsenal-berlin.de

*Das Arsenal – Institut für Film und Videokunst wird gefördert durch den
Beauftragten der Bundesregierung für Kultur und Medien.
*/If you don`t wish to receive our newsletter, please write us a short
email and we will take you off our list/*