[emacs-berlin] Presentation on switch from doom emacs

Tilmann Singer tils at tils.net
Wed May 10 18:57:44 UTC 2023

Hello fellow emacs user Chris,

chris <7vp6jebjwhle at mailbox.org> writes:
> I have recently found myself with too much time on my hands and thus (naturally) started tinkering with my emacs config.
> As a result I have switched from using doom emacs to using my own config.
>
> Since a few of you do use either spacemacs or doomemacs I am offering to give a short presentation on my switch and answer any questions you might have.

Great! Looking forward to that – are you planning to give the
presentation on the upcoming meetup, May 31st?

> Additionally I’d like to ask (1) those of you that have already configured emacs yourself which packages (or builtin functionality) you deem essential to your usage of emacs and (2) for packages you always wanted to check out but never had the time to. I am neither asking for details nor config snippets but rather a short description.

For (1) way too many for an exhaustive list, off the top of my head
org-mode, notmuch, magit, robe, ruby-mode, rspec-mode, tramp,
multiple-cursors, dired, keyboard macros, ... for (2) tree-sitter, eglot
or lsp-mode (yes, so many people here talked about it already but I
still haven't fully set it up).

Is that answering your question, or did you mean it in a different way?

cheers, Til