[emacs-berlin] Pushing org-mode

Rasmus rasmus at gmx.us
Mon Feb 8 16:50:47 UTC 2016

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler at easy-emacs.de> writes:

> On 08.02.2016 16:48, Rasmus wrote:
>> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler at easy-emacs.de> writes:
>>
>>> However, org-mode has some limitations: basic features use hardcoded
>>> characters, notably the star, (codepoint 42, #o52, #x2a). Other chars
>>> are employed as formatters. This bites, if the code itself needs this
>>> chars. The emacs-org mailing list receives respective
>>> complaints/questions.
>>>
>>> Just to give an example:
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-02/msg01385.html
>>> And yes, there is always a way around in Emacs...
>>>
>>> The surprising thing here: there is not need to hardcode this. Why not
>>> use a customizable variable instead?
>> Because of the Org format¹.
>
> Hmm, what would be wrong when for example
>
> org-insert-heading

> instead of
>
> (insert "* \n")

I don’t know.  Maybe the other is intended for interactive use.  Insert is
surely much simpler (the other function is 200 lines and does a lot of
stuff).

> does
>
> (insert (concat header-char " \n"))

Because the format becomes variable.

Why does HTML enforces that headlines are enclosed in <hN></hN> rather
than <XN></XN> where X is a variable of my choice?

> Probably (newline) instead of "\n" should be used also, but thats
> another issue.

If there are any bugs caused by not using (newline) they should reported.
At the moment I don’t know of any misbehavior caused by this, though.

Rasmus

--
Warning: Everything saved will be lost