[pan.do/ra-users] parallel processing for videos

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sun Jul 28 06:10:48 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 4:03 AM,  <j at pad.ma> wrote:
> On 07/24/2013 08:06 AM, Nagarjuna G. wrote:
>> If we add GPU and opencl, does pan.do/ra take advantage of the hardware?
>>

> video encoding generally does not take advantage of GPU or opencl,
> there are some graphic cards with acceleration for video codecs (mostly
> mpeg, some vp8 recently). however thats not used in ffmpeg/libav or
> gstreamer afaik. So for encoding other resolutions/formats and
> generating timelines GPU/opencl is not used.

Thanks!

Is there any specific reason?  In case we want to use opencl, is there
a specific approach to follow?  Both nvdia and amd have GPU cores
which are not expensive.  Would we be gaining advantage if we make use
of this hardware?

We have a friend who is willing to write code for it.  I wanted to
know your opinion on this.

--
GN