[emacs-berlin] in person meetup May

julia.biro at gmail.com julia.biro at gmail.com
Mon May 22 14:38:39 UTC 2023

Hi folks,

I am sorry to let you know that I have to cancel the In person meetup in
May. I just learned that Contentful is no longer willing to support this
event. For the future, we can look for another venue.

to give you a bit of context:

*What did we need Contentfuls support for? *1 catering
2 video conferencing setup that can act as a Jitsi client

Neither seems like a big deal, but they removed a lot of logistics from
organizing these events. Good equipment is necessary for the hybrid setup,
otherwise we can't hear and see each other. and hosting a party with 10
people is just not a small task for me, not something I would want to do
alone every month.

*Why I think Contentful cancelled the support?*
there is a specific economy of hosting meetups, why is it worth it for
startups.   Historically the emacs meetup existed along all the other (much
bigger) meetups Contentful hosted.  Before the pandemic there used to be
2-3 meetups every week, and Contentful had a team supporting the meetups.
Our small friendly meetup just "one more", and was not a lot of overhead.
Today Contentful doesn't host meetups regularly, and it doesn't have the
supporting team.  For the post-pandemic in person meetups I needed support
from 2 different teams (with very different focus) , I had to ask people
for help outside their work hours etc.  I basically just dragged a few
people into helping to host my private party at Contentful, and I
understand they are no longer willing to do that. I hope Contentful
will resume hosting meetups at one point (at scale) but at this point
hosting our meetup in Contentful is simply not a good fit.

I really hope we can find another venue soon.
thanks
Julia