[emacs-berlin] Export org mode files to iCalendar format

Tilmann Singer tils at tils.net
Wed Apr 5 08:12:49 UTC 2023

Ihor Radchenko <yantar92 at posteo.net> writes:
> We have fixed this recently.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=e10b4054e

Nice.

>> Also it would be nicer
>> if the DESCRIPTION wouldn't include the org formatted timestamps - oh
>> well.
>
> See `org-icalendar-include-body'.

Ah. Previously I included the timestamps in the body of the entry
because when in SCHEDULED, they were not picked up by the calendar
export. Thanks to your nudge, I looked at the available customizations
and learnt about `org-icalendar-use-scheduled', which when set to
'(todo-start event-if-not-todo) causes SCHEDULED to be used for the
event. No more need to include the timerange in the entry body!

> That's because top-level heading is the subtree is used as a title, not
> as something that is exported ordinarily:

OK, that make sense. In this particular use case – to export a single
subtree as event to ics would therefore require to wrap the subtree
temporarily in another headline; a minor inconvenience.

Setting the region around the entry to export, or, maybe more obvious,
narrowing to the subtree with `org-narrow-to-subtree' followed by a
regular export with "C-c C-e c f RET" has the desired effect as well.

This was a useful learning experience; looking forward to composing the
next announcement mail with a much improved workflow ;)

cheers, Til