[emacs-berlin] org-babel evaluate elisp for “window changing” functions

Gary Phillips gary.phillips at rolmo.com
Thu Jun 27 17:24:15 UTC 2019

The code referenced on Stackoverflow.com seems to work perfectly for my use
case.
If you have time to read the code you will probably learn a lot about emacs
lisp - I certainly did!

My explanation in email yesterday was slightly misleading.
org-babel-execute-source-block always runs save-excursion and then hands
over to a language-specific handler, in this case org-babel-execute:emacs-lisp,
which runs save-window-excursion. It's the emacs-lisp handler that causes
the problem we saw.

save-excursion saves the identity of the current buffer and its value of
point (the cursor position) but ignores the window layout.
save-window-excursion saves the current window layout.

In my use-case of running ediff-files I rely on ediff-files itself to save
the window configuration including my org-mode buffer which is then
restored when I quit the ediff session.