[emacs-berlin] Emacs Starter Kits

Lefteris Karapetsas lefteris at refu.co
Sat Jul 26 18:25:05 CEST 2014

Hey all,

I am wondering what kind of package managing method do you use. What do you
guys use for downloading emacs packages and then managing them?
I had started by using git submodules and keeping all of my emacs.d there,
with external packages registered as submodules.

Since I discovered el-get <https://github.com/dimitri/el-get> though I have
seriously simplified the way that emacs packages are maintained. I still
keep my .emacs.d in a git repository but all of the external packages are
managed by el-get and I don't need to worry:

(defvar el-get-packages-list)
(defvar work-only-packages '(monky protobuf-mode))
(defvar personal-only-packages '(android-mode ))
(if *at-work*
    (setq el-get-packages-list (append common-packages work-only-packages))
    (setq el-get-packages-list (append common-packages personal-only-packages)))

;; el-get does its magic to make sure all packages are there
(el-get 'sync el-get-packages-list)
(el-get 'sync)

So I keep 3 different lists, one for my work computer and one for my
personal computer where I define the packages I need only in each different
environment. And the common-packages list is the packages I need
everywhere. With the last 2 lines el-get makes sure that the aforementioned
packages are downloaded, built and up to date. Installing my .emacs.d to a
new computer? Just open emacs and wait until it clones and builds all
packages. (It will take a long time to do so though)

As for specific packages I could go on and on about useful packages but one
that I really love using is: *expand-region*. Its source code is here
<https://github.com/magnars/expand-region.el>. I bind it to M - q and it's
simply magic. Depending on the language of the file visited by the buffer
you are in, it will select the current word. The more times you call it
without moving the point the selected region will expand more and more
towards greater and greater semantic areas, like variable name, function
block e.t.c.

So that wraps up some things I discovered after some years of using emacs.
Hope to see some of you in one of our meetings and discuss more tips and
tricks in detail.

Best Regards,

Lefteris(Eleftherios) Karapetsas  Click here <http://lefteris.refu.co> for
my CV/portfolio website