[emacs-berlin] Emacs Starter Kits

Arne Brasseur arne.brasseur at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 14:50:17 CEST 2014

The next emacs-berlin is next week already!

I chatted a bit with Andy the other day about these starter kits, for
experienced users they are too opinionated, but certain settings they all
have in common. These are just considered "sensible defaults". This gave me
the idea of pulling out these settings in a "reset stylesheet".

For example some of the settings I have so far are:

(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)                  ; no splash screen
(menu-bar-mode -1)                              ; no menu bar
(tool-bar-mode -1)                                ; no tool bar
(scroll-bar-mode -1)                            ; no scroll bar
(setq initial-scratch-message nil)              ; empty *scratch* buffer
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
(require 'uniquify)
(setq uniquify-buffer-name-style 'post-forward) ; "file.ext|dir" instead of
"file.ext<2>"
(fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)

I'd be interested to hear if the majority agrees with these, and what else
you would add. Potentially we could pull these into a shared package that
you can just install on a vanilla emacs.

What do you think, and what would you add?