[pandora-dev] Increasing the number of threads for pandora_client

j at pad.ma j at pad.ma
Wed Jul 10 14:01:55 CEST 2013

On 07/10/2013 01:01 PM, Alpesh Gajbe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I increase the number of threads from 4 to the number of processors
> I have in extract.py of pandora_client.

while you could increase the number of threads, encoding will not get
much faster since it is not so easy to do it in parallel (4 threads is 1
for decoding audio, 1 for decoding video, 1 for encoding audio, 1 for
encoding video). to make use of your cpu i would run multiple encodings
at the same time. this can be done using the build in distributed
encoding option in pandora_client.

in one terminal/screen window run:
  pandora_client server

now you can start multiple encodes (can also be on other machines in the
same network):

  pandora_client client http://ip_of_server:8789

clients will fetch the video from the server and put the result back on
the server instance, that in turn will upload it into your pandora instance.